Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Quitting school??!! Think twice, or more.

Someone asked what would happen if you decide to quit school (stop attending, stop paying) in the US. 

Well, to be a legal resident in the US under your F-1 visa, you have to be IN SCHOOL. During regular semesters (Fall & Spring, or whatever it's called in your school), you have to be enrolled for at least 12 credits, unless you have special permission from the international office at your school. 

If you decide to stay in the US after quitting school, you become an illegal immigrant. To do it the legal way: you notify the international office that you're quitting school. After which, you have to be out of the US, in a particular time period (a couple of days I believe).

If you really feel like you want to quit school, I suggest you utilize the resources available in your school. Get some professional advice from an academic advisor or counselor. 


  1. Very good advice...
    Why should anyone come to the US (a blessing from God) and decide to quit school?