Saturday, February 5, 2011

USA/CANADA

What do I like/hate about the 2 countries in terms of school, life, etc?


I don't want to make this too long. So, I'll summarize:


EDUCATION:
I don't think there's any difference between educational standards in the US or Canada. In terms of educational prestige, the US wins. The top schools in the US are obviously more popular and "look better" than the top schools in Canada.


Cost wise: For the most parts, Canada is cheaper, cos you're international. Assuming you were Canadian, of course Canadian students pay waaaay less than what American students pay to attend school in the US.


However, as an international student, you won't be paying what Canadians would pay. I am not an "expert" in this field, so I won't dwell on that. But, I suspect that Canadian schools will be tid-bit cheaper on average, definitely not by a long shot. 


Also, I read on a University of Manitoba's website that international students are allowed to work off-campus after 6 month (with a valid work permit of course). If that is the case with all of Canada, that definitely is awesome for international students. In the US, you have to wait a year.


By the way, the cheapest schools in Canada for international students are apparently: Memorial University of Newfoundland, Brandon University in Manitoba and the University of Prince Edward Island


Bishop's University in Quebec can also be an option because Quebec has low living costs. 


AFTER HIGHER ED:
So, you're done with college. Do you want to return home or still stay overseas. If you don't want to return home, then I suggest you go to school in Canada. 


The USA is very strict in terms of immigration and making you a permanent resident or citizen. It will take you foreverrrrrrrrr to become an American citizen, and costs you thousands of dollars, and I don't think this is worth it. I am not saying that you won't get a job after you graduate, but it's harder to become a PR or citizen.


In Canada, after you graduate I believe you can apply for Federal Skilled Permanent Residence. I don't know anyone who has studied in Canada and has been "kicked out".


The US and Canada are very similar in terms of standard of living. There's just something about Canada. Food even tastes better that side, and all my international friends agree with me. I'm not even joking.


Canada is such a peaceful country. Wonderful people. There's just something about Canada that I am in love with. I wasn't always this way.


LIVING THE AMERICAN DREAM:
That's why the US always has record number of immigrants each year. To me, the US says IT'S POSSIBLE. To most people, the US is a land of endless possibilities. This may not necessarily be true. But this is an image many people over the world have. 


So weigh your options.


Was this helpful? Did this make sense? I hope so.



No comments:

Post a Comment