Saturday, May 28, 2011

Study in the USA as a visiting scholar

Maybe you want to study in the USA but don't want to spend 3-4 years living in the US, but would rather spend a summer, or 2 semesters . Many schools in the US and around the world offer such programs.

However, funding for such short-term study is usually very limited.

Nevertheless, I have compiled a link/list of study abroad/exchange programs as well as a list of funding sources for these study abroad programs

The Fulbright Scholar Program and ISEP are the most popular, I believe as most visiting/exchange students I come in contact with come through these programs. Many of the top US universities have pretty good programs as well.

If you don't want to go through that route, and don't want to go to the very competitive schools as well. I suggest you do a search for a couple of schools. Read my post, Study in the USA Step 1: Finding, choosing & applying to university, Following those steps, choose a school that fits the profile of your ideal study abroad institution. After you have done this, go to the school's website and find out if they have a study abroad program. Lengthy process, but it will work.

The Institute of International Education also has great resources for students who want to study in the U.S.

Fulbright Scholar Program, here
Rotary International (good funding opportunities)
GE Foundation Scholars-Leaders Program
IIE Funding for US Study
IIE Program Finder
California State University Fullerton
Brown University

No comments:

Post a Comment