Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Summer employment: F-1 visa

Hey guys,


There has been a lot of confusion regarding summer employment while in the US on an F-1 visa.


To the best of my knowledge, you can work full-time during the summer. There are no strict restrictions as to how many hours you can work. I know that "officially", this figure is said to be 40 hours, however in my school we are allowed to work full-time, and we define what full-time is. Some students work 8 hours 5 days a week, which brings their total to 40 hours, while others work 10 hours a week every day which brings their total to 70 hours. Some students work 2, 3 jobs or more during the summer. 



I suggest you talk to your advisor as to what the restrictions in your school look like. I have never heard of a student who was deported because they worked more than 40 hours in the summer, however I know that the 20 hours/week restriction is taken very seriously during the school year or whenever you are taking classes (even in the summer). Best wishes!


Hugs & Kisses
B.

1 comment: